Pages

Wednesday 24 August 2011

My Political Philosophy

I  have not read Adam Smith's "The Wealth of Nations" but I accept his observation that goods and services are provided out of self-interest. But I do not believe in the "invisible" hand of capitalism. It is my contention that the hand of capitalism should be wearing hi-viz gloves. I believe in the visible hand of capitalism. Or it can be said, "The visible hand of self interest/actualisation."

I have not read Karl Marx's "Das Capital". (Is that spelt with a "K"?). But I accept his observation that "the sole source of value is human labour". If the American bankers were aware of this perhaps they would not have given "sub-prime" mortgages. But like Karl Marx, I am not a marxist.

I believe in freedom, fairness and justice; human rights combined with human responsibility;  self reliance. That there is no such thing as a free lunch. That wealth is better than poverty; education is better than ignorance; good health is better than ill health.

And that to accentuate the positives and to reduce or eliminate the negatives of our social, economic and political life the system architecture has to be designed to produce these outcomes. My next posts will specify that design.

No comments:

Post a Comment